Through our partnership with Keep America Beautiful, South Carolinians have an opportunity to participate in the nation’s largest program aimed at reducing cigarette litter. Community members can start making a change by installing free receptacles at their business, home or local park to help fight the most commonly littered item in America – the cigarette butt.
- For every additional litter stand, the littering rate for cigarette butts decreases 9%.
- The majority of smokers said they would properly dispose of their butts if suitable receptacles were available.
- Litter stands and hardware are offered for free and included with the butt bins.
- Cigarette butts are the most commonly littered item in America.
- Cigarette butts take five years to decompose.
- Cigarette butts can be recycled for free with TerraCycle.
- TerraCycle turns recycled cigarette butts into compost and plastic products like benches, pallets and ash trays.
How to get started
Share the GPS coordinates of each litter stand’s location with KSCB by filling out the form below to include on the interactive map.
GPS coordinates can be identified in several ways:
- Enter the litter stand location/address into https://www.latlong.net/ and record coordinates.
- Using Google Maps, right-click the place on the map. Select “What’s Here?”. At the bottom of the map, a card with coordinates will appear.
- Install the litter stand(s) in an accessible place (e.g., outside entrance to retail location, or transition point where adult smokers commonly dispose of cigarette butts). Hardware is included to mount each receptacle.
- Maintain litter stand(s) (e.g., regularly empty cigarette butts into garbage).
Litter Stand Specs
- Manufactured by Sidewalk Buttler
- Dimensions: 4” x 4” x 14”
- Made of aluminum with black powder coating
- Empties from the bottom, by removing the shackle lock
- Shackle lock and two nuts and bolts are included with the litter stand
How to recycle your cigarette butts for free
Are you interested in recycling your cigarette waste? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request prepaid postage to mail your waste in a shoebox or larger sized package. Print and attach the label to the securely closed package and take to the nearest mailing location.
Request a Free Cigarette Butt Bin
Complete the form below to request your free bin and help us reduce cigarette litter. (Each new bin will require a new request. Only one bin can be made per request and longitude/latitude)